Thursday, January 12, 2012

Learning about Winter...

Today we:
- practiced writing our first (and last) names.
- picked up 'snowballs' (pom poms) with tweezers for small motor (we also sorted, counted and made applesauce with them).
- worked hard at centers - during centers I focused on rhyming in my one-on-one time with each student.
- discussed months, days of the week, patterning, and counting in our Calendar Time.
- read our Sound Chart and sang our Sounds Song
**DON'T FORGET TO PRACTICE THE SOUND CHART WITH YOUR CHILD EVERYDAY**
- read Little Snowflake's BIG Adventure by Steve Metzger.
-made our own snowflakes out of cereal boxes.
*during their creating time, some started singing our preschool theme song quietly to themselves (the words are: It's a great day, it's a beautiful day. It's the kind of day that makes ya wanna say: I'm glad I'm alive, I'm happy to be me. And that's the way to be... Ya!)after a couple quiet times through almost all were just BELTING it out for all the world to hear (I mean, really going for it)! It was one of those moments were I sent silent thoughts to each of them to "please, please, please remember these words. Remember them when you are a teenager, remember them when you are old, remember them when the hard days come, because they will pass but you were, and are, always meant to be YOU and that is a GREAT thing." I thought of how I watched my 6th grade students, when I taught middle school in Ogden, sometimes get lost and forget who they were, and go down sad paths. I thought of how much I want to TEACH them while they are here that they are so valuable to this world. Anyway - that's what I thought at approximately 10:45 this morning.
Back to what we did :)
- played outside if we wanted or colored inside if that suited us better.
- introduced the number 0 by playing a game "What's in the box"
- then, worked on understanding that number, and writing it.

It was certainly a great day... a beautiful day (and I remembered it is GREAT to be me)!
Thank you!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment